Supporting Children With Hearing Impairment
The Hearing Impairment Team supports children and young people (C&YP) with a hearing impairment at home, in early years settings, mainstream and special schools. This support continues throughout school and into further education. This forms part of Staffordshire's Local Offer.
Qualified and experienced Specialist Teachers of the Hearing Impaired work alongside other specialist professionals including Deaf Role Models, Communication Support Workers and Intervenors.
What we do
- visit homes, pre-school groups, nurseries, schools and colleges
- provide advice, information and support to parents/carers and professionals.
- offer training to the setting
- assess and monitor communication
- advise how deaf C&YP can effectively access the curriculum
- develop specialist skills: e.g. signing
- provide specialist equipment when appropriate e.g. radio aids
- foster links with local and national organisations